Maintaining people’s health and well-being is one of our core responsibilities.
Addressing international health challenges
We support all staff who may be exposed to health risks through their work.
- The main risks are the potential exposure to infectious diseases and harmful substances in our operating locations or during business critical travel. We carry out local health-risk assessments to identify potential concerns for all our operating locations and apply controls to prevent or manage the risks.
- Health management plans are in place for in-country operations, and we maintain travel risk and management plans for travellers to challenging environments with specific risks.
- Our ongoing efforts to support travellers include our Traveller Health and Security intranet site and travel policy.
- We also monitor global threats and how they may impact business continuity.
- We are also mindful of potential epidemics and the risk of pandemic development.
Limiting exposure to harmful materials
We follow robust requirements to manage exposure to hazardous substances, protecting both human health and the environment.
To achieve this, we:
- select the least damaging materials wherever possible;
- provide effective storage facilities;
- implement work risk assessments and appropriate handling procedures; and
- provide suitable personal protective equipment (PPE).
Our contractors are expected to have compatible arrangements in place to prevent health impacts to their workforce, and to stop harmful substances from affecting the wider environment.
We want all colleagues to be happy and healthy at work and recognise the importance of employee well-being.
Our health and well-being programme in the UK helps staff to understand how their behaviour and lifestyle can affect their health and well-being, explore their values and attitudes and, where appropriate, change their behaviour. In 2021, the programme of activities focused on three areas: Getting Healthy, Maintaining Health and Regaining Health.
Our staff well-being approach also includes:
- optional annual health assessments to all staff;
- health and well-being awareness initiatives such as ‘lunch and learn’ sessions; and
- sponsored sporting and fitness challenges, for which we provide both encouragement and financial support for employees’ charitable fundraising.